Wednesday 1 May 2013

Sherpas

I have never aspired to be a mountaineer, I don't have the head for heights. But Hilary and Tenzing's conquering of Everest in 1953 is one of those stories that loomed large. When Chris Bonnington led an expedition there in the 70's I remember it being reported as news. In most of the stories the Sherpas were portrayed as noble, strong and silent. That said even when Hilary and Tenzing got there the question of who was actually the first one up became a political question.

But the story of a mob of angry Sherpas driving westerners away with rocks and knives still took me by complete surprise. I would suspect that this will turnout to be a bad outcome for all concerned. Clearly when the presence of western tour companies has become so great that the locals feel the need to pick up rocks we must be a long way from the romantic picture painted 60 years ago. I would note that in reporting the story everyone seems to have had their say apart from the Sherpas themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment