Saturday 27 July 2013

Our Tour de France - Away with the OPCC


I have recently come back from an Old Ports trip to France to follow the tour. It is events like this that remind me about the benefit of being part of a cycling club. Now there a plenty who don’t like the club thing for whatever reason, but for me it has opened up worlds that there is no way I would have accessed otherwise. There are places I have been and things I have experienced in the last seven years that I will enjoy forever, which I would never have experienced if I had not rocked up to a Saturday club run one January morning.

The kind of trip we have just enjoyed would have cost a fortune if one had tried to book it commercially. But Iain did the bulk of the organising for the love of the sport and Cloudie and Kev backed up on the driving. Ok we were subject to Iain’s frugal hotel choices and rooming arrangements. (Lesson, bring your own partner otherwise you never know who will be in the bed next to you.)

There are a couple of things that always leap out at me when I go back to France. Firstly, though clichéd there are parts of Provence that are a Garden of Eden, some of the most beautiful landscapes one could ever hope to ride through. Secondly, how accessible and friendly France can be. Sitting by the river in Ile en de Sorgue on Bastille Day enjoying a lovely meal in the company of friends, absolutely brilliant. Some of the food was mind blowing, even a day’s climbing could not give Julian the appetite to finish one of his steaks, lovely has it was. Three of us had a go and there was still meat on the bone.

I love riding the road the tour goes over. It just builds ones admiration for the riders. Anyone who a descended Col de Sarenne knows just what a tricky bugger that is. To ride it eyeball out as the pros did – full on respect. The return to the world of work was not easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment